Mark has served as the senior pastor of CHBC since 1994 and as president of 9Marks (a ministry to churches and church leaders) since its founding in 1998. He’s married to Connie and they have two adult children, both married, and one grandchild. Mark has authored a number of books, including 9 Marks of a Healthy Church.
To request Mark Dever to speak at your event, please complete a speaker/event request form.
Other books Mark has written:
- Richard Sibbes: Puritanism and Calvinism in Late Elizabethan and Early Stuart England (2000)
- Nine Marks of a Healthy Church (orig. 2001; 4 editions; 9 translations)
- Polity: Biblical Arguments on How to Conduct Church Life (2001), editor
- The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel (2005), co-authored with Paul Alexander
- The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept (2005)
- A Display of God’s Glory: Basics of Church Structure (2006)
- By Whose Authority: Elders in Baptist Life (2006)
- The Message of the Old Testament: Promises Made (2006)
- What is a Healthy Church? (2007)
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism (2008)
- In My Place Condemned He Stood (2008), co-authored with J.I. Packer
- Twelve Challenges Churches Face (2009)
- What Does God Want of Us Anyway? (2010)
- It Is Well: Expositions on Substitutionary Atonement (2010), co-authored with Michael Lawrence
- Preach: Theology Meets Practice (2012), co-authored with Greg Gilbert
- The Church: The Gospel Made Visible (2012)
- The Compelling Community: Where God’s Power Makes a Church Attractive (2015), co-authored with Jamie Dunlop
- Understanding the Great Commission and the Church (2016)
- Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus (2016)
A selection of articles from Mark:
- 12 Questions to Ask Yourself before Posting Something Online
- In Praise of Low-Budget, Non-Professional Music Ministries
- 9 Choices for a Healthy Music Ministry
- How to Survive a Cultural Crisis
- If You’re Thinking about Leaving a Church . . .
- Where’d All These Calvinists Come From?
- Wanted: Apostolic Pastors
- Blessings and Trials of Short-Term Staff
- The Obvious and Not-So-Obvious of Staff Management
- Staying for the Glory of God: The Sibbes, Simeon and Stott Model
- What’s Wrong With Search Committees? Part 1 of 2 on Finding a Pastor
- What’s Right About Elders? Part 2 of 2 on Finding a Pastor
- Pastoral Fearmongering, Manipulation, and Hell
- How to Change Your Church
- “God told me” and the Sufficiency of Scripture
- The Power of Example
- Re-imagining Success in Ministry
- Should a Church Have Elders?
- What is the relationship between elders and the church?
- Looking for a Few Good Men
- What I Can and Cannot Live With as a Pastor
- Raising Up Pastors Is the Church’s Work
- How Do Pastors Raise Up Pastors?
- On the Use and Importance of Corporate Prayer
- Prayer in the Life and Ministry of the Pastor
- Together for What?
- Inerrancy of the Bible: An Annotated Bibliography
- Preach to the Ignorant, the Doubtful, and Sinners
- “Don’t do it!!” Why You Shouldn’t Practice Church Discipline
- A Pastor for Now
- A Reforming Ministry
From Ligonier and Tabletalk Magazine
- The Marks of the Church
- God-Given Growth
- Long December
- Somebody to Love
- Love and Its Counterfeit
- Relying on Christ
- Ready for the End?
- Certain of the Truth
- Participating in Suffering
- Following Christ
- Reverent Conduct
- Pure Religion
- A Life of Faith
- No Pain, No Gain
From Christianity Today